Sustainable Business Support
The Nelson Regional Development Agency supports sustainable development in matters of regional energy security, energy efficiency, waste reduction and collective sector efficiencies.
Why the need for Sustainable Business?
Energy consumption continues to be the driver for our modern economy. Cheap and abundant energy and resources are a thing of the past. Global demand continues to rise and supplies are becoming progressively limited. Businesses are faced with escalating costs and smart sustainable business practices are positively affecting profits and consumer decisions.
How to make Smart Sustainable Business Decisions
Smart sustainable business and industry decisions can increase a company’s bottom line. Auditors can assess effectively how your business can become more efficient while simultaneously maintaining or increasing the quality of products and services your company already delivers.
Regional Resources, National Agencies and funding sources
The list below summarises national and local providers and the possible funding streams available to businesses wishing to utilise sustainable practices:
- Funding is available for medium to large businesses for energy efficiency audits from the Energy Efficiency Conservancy Authority (EECA) particularly through accredited auditors such as our own regional auditor EMSOL
- Funding is available for implementation of energy management projects as a result of an industry audit
- Funding is available for commercial building energy efficiencies
- Boiler turning grants
- Heat recovery grants for dairy sheds
- Feasibility study grants
- Heavy vehicle fleet performance reviews.
- Membership of the Sustainable Business Network can offer a range of practical tools and information to help your business successfully achieve sustainable certification.
- Nelson Environment Centre has a free council-funded waste education service for your business or school.
- NEC has an e-waste site for recycling your computer and electronic waste in Vivian Place, Tahunanui.
- EMSOL is a local energy auditor and energy management provider offering a range of services for small, medium and large businesses.
- Any EECA funding streams can be accessed through EMSOL particularly for industry audits, process heat, motorised systems, pumping systems, fan systems, refrigeration systems, compressed air systems, motor rewinds, commercial building efficiencies and solar energy audits.
- The Ministry for the Environment website offers comprehensive information on central government environmental initiatives and the Green Ribbon Awards.
- Funding is available for industry or business communities with a particular focus on community partnerships (Community Environment Fund), waste minimisation, contaminated sites remediation and legal assistance.
- Models for building sustainably are available through simply sustainable.
- The Ministry of primary Industries has a Sustainable Farming Fund which invests in farmer, grower and forester-led projects that deliver economic, environmental and social benefits to New Zealand’s primary industries.
- Primary Growth funding for innovation and research projects.
- Irrigation acceleration fund available for irrigation schemes.
- Primary Sector recovery programme for biosecurity and climatic event recovery.
- Nelson City Council provides strategic frameworks through ‘Framing our Future’ and its 10 year plan.
- There are numerous environmental services including the Waste Education Service. The WES contact is Karen Driver, +64 3 545 9176, email email@example.com. Case studies can be accessed on the council’s website.