The Nelson Regional EDA has just published the November 2015 edition of the six monthly Tracking the Nelson Regional Economy Report. This edition continues to focus on specific measures that relate to the Regional-Prosperity – Regional Economic Development Strategy document that was published in October last year.
Key points for this edition:
- Retail spending is up again: the rolling annual average figure for June 2015 was up 9% on June 2014.
- Tourist guest nights for the year to July 2015 are up almost 5% on the year to July 2014.
- The mean average consent value at July 2015 was $346k, compared to $325k at July 2014 and $304k in 2013.
- Home affordability remains steady at 22% of income required to service an average mortgage, compared to the national average of 24.7%.
- Rental home affordability was 21% of income as at May 2015, compared to 20% in May 2014.
- NCEA Level 2 achievement rates rose again for those who turned 18 in 2014, now sitting at 82.8% compared to 81.4% a year earlier.
- Net international migration into Nelson-Tasman has increased for the fourth year in a row. In the year to June 2015, there was a net gain of 502 people, the highest since 1992.
The report is available for viewing or downloading from the EDA website.